- Develop & deliver programs & activities targeting Somali-Australian families
The Youth and Family Services department is committed to working ethically in partnership with the community within a Citizenship Framework. In essence this means that the department works to include and encourage community participation and respects the rights of individuals to have a say in decisions which affect them.
About the role
- You will deliver programs addressing identified emerging community needs including culturally appropriate sessions on drug and alcohol support, mental health knowledge and positive parenting strategies targeting Somali-Australian families
- The aim will be to increase the capacity of parents and families to bridge the cultural divide between home and community life by increasing understanding of youth development and behavior needs.
- Excellent working knowledge, insight and understanding of the Somali-Australian community and culture, and the ability to work effectively with Somali-Australian parents, carers and families essential.
- Tertiary qualification and/or experience in community development, family support or the human services field
- Ability to network and develop productive positive partnerships with external stakeholders
- Experience in working with, and understanding of the challenges of family breakdown, AOD, mental health in diverse communities.
- Good computer literacy, verbal and written communication skills.
- Practical working knowledge and understanding of family support principles and practice
- A current Victorian driver’s license and WWC check is essential
Employment screening Checks: National Criminal Record Check and Working with Children Check
Culture Staff choose to align their career with Banyule because we offer career and professional development opportunities and work in partnership with the community to deliver our services.
- Supportive team & flexible work arrangements
- Learning and development opportunities and health and wellbeing initiatives
- Salary range $70,934.90 to $82,175.74 pro rata plus super
- Temporary part time – 24 hours per week
- August 2021 to July 2023
- Greensborough & West Heidelberg location
For more information about this position please access a copy of the position description via the link below. To discuss suitability contact Leonie Farrell Youth Services Coordinator Tel: 0439 395 967 for a confidential conversation.
To apply, please include your resume and cover letter addressing the Key Selection Criteria outlined in the position description. For more information on how to apply, please refer to the Application Guidelines via the link below
Applications Close 11.45pm on: Wednesday 11 August 2021.
Banyule City Council is a child safe organisation and an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.