About the Social Planning & Investment Department
This department is part of our Community Life Division, and is responsible for the management of the City's social infrastructure across community planning, policy development, business development and focused marketing, and the identification and review of future social investment opportunities.
About the role
This position is responsible for leading the development, review and implementation of public open space policies, strategies and land management practices for all aspects of the City’s public open space network and associated facilities including passive parklands, linear reserves and trails and active sporting reserves.
- Role model and promote Council values in all aspects of duty.
- Lead the preparation, revision and implementation of Council’s Open Space Strategy and other relevant policy and strategies relating to public open space within the City of Greater Geelong.
- Work closely with other internal departments and external stakeholders to ensure the implementation of Council policy and strategy relating to public open space is afforded a high priority in the planning and development of Growth Areas and urban infill development.
- Undertake high quality analyses of proposals and reports relating to open space and prepare timely responses to requests from internal and external stakeholders on open space planning issues.
- Provide specialist advice and interpretation of legislative and regulatory requirements pertaining to the planning and development of open space networks and recreation services including the acquisition of land for public open space.
- Develop, maintain and interpret relevant quantitative and qualitative data sets, conduct research and monitor usage trends to inform recreation and open space planning.
- Provide strategic input into structure plans, rezoning proposals and subdivisions to ensure community recreation and open space needs are met.
- Develop and maintain a sound knowledge of open space networks and recreation services within the municipality to ensure the coordinated planning and development of recreation and open space provision.
Key selection criteria
- A tertiary qualification and several years’ recent experience in open space planning, landscape architecture or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, implementation and advocacy of policy and strategies relating to land management.
- Advanced communication/negotiation skills with an ability to represent Council in public forums and to negotiate win-win outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyse and interpret data from a range of sources, to inform policy development and planning decisions
- Demonstrate values and behaviours consistent with maintaining a positive team culture.
About the City
As Victoria's largest regional municipality, the City provides the benefits of city living in a beautiful seaside location - all only 1 hour from Melbourne. We enjoy an open and inclusive culture with great employment conditions, competitive salaries, flexible work arrangements, paid parental leave, and many varied learning and development opportunities. The City is an equal opportunity employer and values the contributions a diverse workforce can bring to our community.
Applications and Enquiries
Click the APPLY NOW button below to submit your application or find out more about this opportunity.
Enquiries: Alistair Bain | 03 5272 4920 | ABain@geelongcity.vic.gov.au
Applications close 5:00pm Friday 26 October 2018.