About the City
As Victoria's largest regional municipality, the City provides the benefits of city living in a beautiful seaside location - all only 1 hour from Melbourne. We enjoy an open and inclusive culture with great employment conditions, competitive salaries, flexible work arrangements, paid parental leave, and many varied learning and development opportunities. The City is an equal opportunity employer and values the contributions a diverse workforce can bring to our community.
About the Leisure & Recreation Services Department
This department is part of our Community Life Division, and aims to help people thrive and connect through active and healthy lifestyle. This department provides a great range of indoor and outdoor leisure and aquatic centres, golf courses, stadiums, and halls for the community.
This position will provide leadership and direction to the Leisure and Recreation Services department that ensures best practice delivery of a range of recreation facilities, community halls and department administration support services. This position directly oversees the coordination and operation of a facility portfolio that includes the Geelong Arena, Leisuretime Centre, Barwon Valley Activity Centre, Golf Courses, Halls, Community Bus program and Community Hubs.
Some of the key responsibilities in this role will include:
- Direct line management responsibilities for indoor stadiums, golf courses, community halls, department administration and training services, community buses and supporting the operation of community hubs.
- Provide leadership across the department which supports strategic planning, facility operations and business development initiatives.
- Provide advice and guidance related to the development and implementation of effective staff leadership initiates and the implementation of council’s human resource initiatives.
- Provide leadership and support for effective staff induction programs, mentoring, training and development and adherence to Councils performance management processes.
- Provide leadership and effective planning that develops and supports high levels of customer service within the department.
- In conjunction with the managers, oversee the preparation, monitoring and accountability for Stadiums, Halls, Buses and Golf course budgets and business plans.
- Provide governance and support with Council policies to ensure health and safety policies, internal audit recommendations and legislative requirements are adhered to.
- Establish and build relationships and collaborative partnerships internally and with external organisations and industry bodies to enhance the level of service provided to the community.
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Extensive management experience in the recreation industry or similar customer focused environments.
- An understanding of effective business operation principles including marketing, human resource management, customer service and program development capabilities.
- Strong leadership qualities to support cultural change and inspire staff to deliver agreed outcomes.
- Ability to think strategically and articulate initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in managing budgets, staff, projects and programs.
- Current Working with Children Check.
Applications and Enquiries
Click the APPLY NOW button below to submit your application or find out more about this opportunity.
Enquiries: Malcolm Kuhn | 03 5272 4338 | MKuhn@geelongcity.vic.gov.au
Applications close 5.00pm Friday 23 November 2018.