Unit Manager Building Services and Environmental Health - [Archived Advertisement]
Moreland City Council (View other jobs from this organisation)
Unit Manager Building Services and Environmental Health
- Leadership Opportunity
- Fixed Term Contract to March 2022
At Moreland our diverse community is vibrant and full of energy, with an array of community services and place making, fabulous festivals, cool pools, libraries and a recently designed gallery space, scenic bike paths and a community of artists and creative industries and shops. We are a progressive cosmopolitan council with 180,000 residents and with ambitions for environmental sustainability, social justice and community wellbeing. Moreland's Civic Centre is located in Coburg, just 8 kilometres north of Melbourne’s CBD, with excellent public transport options, great food and cafés, providing Moreland to be a great place to live, work and play.
ABOUT THE ROLE
An exciting opportunity for a fixed term leadership role has arisen in Council’s City Development Branch to lead the Building Services and Environmental Health Units.
A key senior leadership role within the Moreland Leadership Team, this position will manage the statutory enforcement & statutory approvals operations of the Building Services and Environmental Health Units, ensuring the Units provide best value services to its clients and community, in line with Council’s service standards and within statutory timeframes.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM THIS ROLE
- A Tertiary qualification (degree/diploma) in Applied Science (Environmental Health) or Building Surveying OR extensive relevant experience. Post-graduate qualifications in a Management or Business discipline are highly desirable.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in managing regulatory teams.
- Sound knowledge and experience in the functions and operations of a Council Building Services team, plus an understanding of Private Building Surveying practice.
- Demonstrated experience in local government Environmental Health. Knowledge and understanding of Environmental Health Legislation and associated Codes of Practice and the ability to administer, explain, interpret and enforce such legislation.
- Ability to proactively lead and inspire staff to work with a team spirit, focused on and committed to continuous improvement and organisational goals and objectives.
- An advanced capacity to effectively participate and contribute to a management team and play an organisational leadership role.
- Sound understanding of legal and risk management requirements associated with the management of a Building Unit or Environmental Health Unit within a local government context.
- Highly developed problem-solving skills and a demonstrated ability to manage investigations for a timely resolution and effectively adjust plans and schedules when necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prepare and implement a compliance framework and associated policy and achieve Council objectives.
- Ability to prepare program budgets and achieve budget targets.
WHAT THIS ROLE CAN OFFER
- The opportunity to work alongside a professional and supportive team
- Salary sacrifice options
- Extensive opportunities for training and career development
- Wellness programs
If you have any queries about the role or the deliverables during that time, please contact Narelle Jennings directly to discuss via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 9240 1243.
Applications close: 5 pm, 9 March 2021. (*in the case that we receive a high volume of applications we may close this advert before the closing date).
Before submitting an application please view the Position Description. Please note that when applying for this role, you will be required to attached your valid Drivers Licence. Please have this ready when completing your application
Moreland City Council is proudly diverse and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, people with disability, and people from every culture, gender and sexuality identity, age and ethnic background. Moreland City Council is committed to being a Child Safe organisation and has zero tolerance for child abuse.
- Closing Date:
- 09 Mar 2021
- VIC - Coburg
- Work Type: