Illegal Dumping Compliance Officer - 12 Month Contract - 2 Positions
Reference Number: 13177
Salary Range: $65,245.44 - $70,129.06 per annum
Location: 119 - 145 Spence Street, Cairns
Close Date: Sunday, 5 April 2020
Situated in tropical North Queensland, Cairns is a thriving vibrant city framed by world class attractions such as the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef, Wet Tropics - Daintree Rainforest and nearby Atherton Tablelands and outback Savannah regions. With an estimated population of approx. 165,000 the Cairns Regional Council local government area encompasses 1687 km2 of land on a narrow coastal strip between the Great Dividing Range and the Coral Sea.
With our purpose to “serve the community”, we are committed to providing a sustainable liveable city that enhances our unique lifestyle and enriches our community and region. We are proud of our community and the key role you can play in making the Cairns region a great place to live, work and learn. Our commitment to high quality services means that we need talented, committed people – we need you!
We are currently seeking 2 highly experienced, solution focused team players with a solid background in investigations, compliance and report writing to join our team now! The individuals we are seeking must be able to act in a courteous and diplomatic manner, with excellent problem solving and investigative skills. The ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team is essential.
The primary focus of this role is to:
- To investigate and respond to littering and illegal dumping occurrences as defined under the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011.
- To carry out enforcement actions under the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011 and collect evidence for further action, including prosecution.
- To prepare and deliver community education and promotional activities associated with littering and illegal dumping to both internal and external stakeholders.
To be successful in these roles you will require:
- Current “C” Class Driver’s Licence.
- Knowledge of or ability to interpret and understand Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011 and the relationship with other laws, or legislation specific to littering and illegal dumping.
- Sound written and oral communication skills including the ability to draft routine correspondence, notices and reports.
- Experience with the investigation of illegal dumping, local law breaches including issuing of “on the spot fines”, report writing and legal proceedings.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate and problem solve with a desire to find solutions in the best interests of the community.
- Demonstrated customer service focus, with a ‘here to help’ mentality.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to relate in a courteous and diplomatic manner, particularly in dispute situations.
- High level of communication skills, including excellent report writing, letter writing, telephone negotiation and interpersonal skills.
Join our team now and enjoy following benefits:
- 9 Day Fortnight
- Up to 5 weeks annual leave
- Up to 12% contribution to superannuation
- Annual leave loading
- Subsidised uniform allowance
- Subsidised health and well-being membership (gym / swimming pool)
- On-going opportunities for learning and professional development
For a full listing of the Key Duties & Responsibilities and full Selection Criteria please download a copy of the information kit.
How to Apply:
Your application must be submitted online and must consist of the following:
- Cover Letter addressing the three main elements as detailed in the full selection criteria.
- Copy of your Resume.
Applications not addressing the full selection criteria will not be accepted.
As part of the selection process applicants may be required to undertake some or all of the following preâ€‘employment assessments / checks:-
- Preâ€‘employment medical, which will include a functional capacity assessment and drug and alcohol test.
- National police / criminal history check.
- Practical Assessment
- Numeracy and Literacy Assessment
- Computer Skills Assessment
- Qualification / Licence Verification
- Working with Children & Young People (Blue Card) Verification
- Right to Work in Australia Check
- Directorship Check
To be eligible to apply for a position at Cairns Regional Council, you must fulfil one of the following criteria:-
- Permanent resident of Australia
- Australian Citizen
- New Zealand Citizen