(Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Identified Role)
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants only
- Be a part of a contemporary, collaborative leadership team
- Focus on leading contemporary people and culture practices across Council
About City of Darebin and Council
Darebin is situated on the Traditional Owner lands of the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung people. It is home to many Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, and a large number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people work, live and play within the municipality.
Darebin is also home to one of the most diverse communities in Victoria in terms of culture, language (more than 118 languages are spoken), ethnicity, faith and beliefs, gender, age, ability, sexuality, gender identity, class, socio-economic status, income, education level, occupation and caring responsibility.
As a progressive leader in Local Government, the City of Darebin has set an inspiring vision to ensure quality of life for current and future generations in response to the climate emergency, increasing inequality and unprecedented growth - hence Council’s vision is for a sustainable, vibrant and community-oriented City. Darebin City Council responds to the many needs of the Darebin community, notably First Nations residents and organisations.
About the People and Culture Department and role
Our People and Culture Department drive value for both our customers and the business by working closely with key internal stakeholders and other divisional teams to drive operational excellence and deliver extraordinary results through ownership and considered execution. We are a highly collaborative team who thrive working in an agile and fast-paced environment underpinned by strong values and a customer centric approach.
Our People and Culture team are highly committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in Council’s workforce and commonly work with specialist partners on recruitment and to build staff cultural capacity.
Reporting to the Manger People and Culture and leading a team of three, this position provides strategic leadership and management expertise in employee experience in support of a People Plan that prioritises employee engagement and addresses every interaction that happens along the employee life cycle putting human experiences over process. Part of the scope includes overseeing Council’s talent acquisition function and leading on the community employment strategy.
The role drives the development and iteration of fit for purpose, future focussed HR policies, process and systems as enablers and leads co-ordination of services and practices across the people life cycle that ensure efficient delivery, quality service and continuous improvement. The role will also leadpeople related metrics and reporting to provide informed analysis and insight of key people issues.
Key duties in the role:
- Developing and implementing HR policies, processes and systems to enable Darebin to be a great place to work and equip and enable our people to best serve and support the community.
- Drive and facilitate the development and ongoing improvement of processes and practices to deliver accessible people related services along the employee life cycle putting human experiences over process.
- Develop and lead the co-ordination of people related services and practices to ensure efficient delivery, quality service and continuous improvement.
- Guide and partner People and Culture Business Partnering team in job design and development in line with Council’s Enterprise Agreement.
- Guide and support Council to further develop awareness of culturally safe, welcoming and inclusive employment strategies and practices.
- Oversee Council’s talent acquisition and strategic resourcing functions to secure the right people for the right jobs across the organisation.
- In consultation with key stakeholders, lead Council’s community employment strategy and workplan to improve outcomes for job seekers at risk of or experiencing long-term unemployment in Darebin.
- Lead and ensure maintenance and compliance of accurate, timely and accessible employee data and records ensuring key people metrics in support of organisational strategy and goals.
Skills and experience:
To be considered for this position you will have a strong track record of effectively initiating and implementing innovation and change in the people policy and service or practice context. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in a customer centric leadership role across people practice functions including people policy, shared services and/ or talent acquisition
Demonstrated experience working across a complex and diverse organisation with demonstrated success delivering effective outcomes with consideration to diversity and inclusion will see you be successful in this role. Key to the position is a sound knowledge of the Fair Work Act, other employment legislation and some expertise in key people metrics in support of organisational strategy and goals.
Knowledge of and/or partnerships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community groups, organisations and recruitment services will be highly regarded.
As the local government responsible for an area situated on the traditional lands of the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung People, and home to many Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, Council recognises, pays respect to and celebrates the long-standing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage within the Darebin community.
Through its 2019 Statement of commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Council has re-committed to building strong partnerships with the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, recognising their values, living culture and practices, continuing spiritual connection to the land and waters and their right to self-determination.
Joining Darebin, you will work for an organisation that proudly values respect, social inclusion, and making a difference to our community.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume (max 5 pages) and one page statement addressing the selection criteria and what you would bring to the role to email@example.com by Sunday 24 January 2021.
Questions and enquiries on the position can also be directed to Jillian West at Indigenous Employment Partners on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0402 704 281
The City of Darebin is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organisation, or other non-merit factors. Darebin are committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, and thorough 'Safety Screening' processes apply.