Antiracism Program Officer (Identified role) - [Archived Advertisement]
Darebin City Council (View other jobs from this organisation)
- Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and/or people from a Culturally & Linguistically Diverse background applicants only
- Full Time, Maximum Term until 30 June 2025
- Salary Circa $90k p.a. + Super
About Darebin City Council
Darebin is situated on the Traditional Owner lands of the Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung people. It is home to many Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, and a large number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people work, live and play within the municipality. Our Vision is for a community that works together to advance community life. Council responds to the many needs of the Darebin community, notably First Nations residents and organisations.
About the Role
The Antiracism Program Officer supports Council’s objectives under the 2021-25 Council Plan and the Towards Equality Framework, to address systemic racism and racial discrimination and to create an inclusive and respectful Darebin community.
- Collate data on experiences of racism and racial discrimination in Darebin
- Design a program to address systemic racism and racial discrimination
- Develop a program to support middle years students to take actions that address systemic racism and racial discrimination
- Design and implement events to address systemic racism and racial discrimination
- Support Council’s advocacy efforts
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with representatives of Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, multicultural organisations, and groups and local leaders
Skills & Experience
- Experience working on projects that address systemic racism and racial discrimination
- Ability to collate, analyse, and interpret data from a variety of sources to prepare reports, presentations and recommendations for projects and policy
- Capacity to build relationships and work effectively across diverse sectors including community, government and not for profit
- Experience in project management, relating to community-based projects preferred
- Tertiary qualification in politics, community development, sociology, anthropology, social work, or related discipline and/or equivalent work experience
Council recognises, pays respect to and celebrates the long-standing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage within the Darebin community. Through its 2019 Statement of commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Council has re-committed to building strong partnerships with the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, recognising their values, living culture and practices, continuing spiritual connection to the land and waters and their right to self-determination.
As a progressive leader in Local Government, Darebin City Council is passionate about social inclusion, sustainability, engagement and service excellence. We are proud of the diversity of our workforce and recognise the strength this provides in meeting the needs of the community we serve. We are committed to upholding a positive and supportive work environment that values the contribution of all employees and treats all employees with dignity and respect.
We offer a range of benefits to our employees including opportunities for personal and professional development, flexible working arrangements, Employee Assistance Program, recognition and reward program - Appreciate Great and a variety of generous paid and unpaid leave options.
How to Apply
Please prepare your resume, and ensure it shows how you would be a great fit for the role. To submit your application: click ‘Begin’ below or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re also happy to adjust our recruitment process to support your accessibility needs.
Contact the hiring manager, Samuel Muchoki, Acting Coordinator Equity and Diversity on 8470 8553 for a confidential discussion. If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicant please contact Jimmy Kyle, our Aboriginal Employment and Programs Officer on 03 8470 8589 for a confidential discussion.
Applications close on Sunday 19 September 2021 at 11.30pm.
The Racial Discrimination Act permits special measures that foster greater racial equality in the Australian community. Only Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and/or people from a Culturally & Linguistically Diverse background are eligible to apply as this position which is exempt under the Special Measure Provision, Section 12 (1) of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic).
The phrase ‘culturally and linguistically diverse’ is a broad term used to describe communities with diverse languages, ethnicity, culture, nationalities, traditions, societal structures and religions. For this role we are looking for applicants who identify with the above, specifically those that who are from a non-English speaking or non-dominate cultural, religious or ethnic background.
The Darebin City Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. Darebin is committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, and thorough ‘Safety Screening’ processes apply.
To work at Darebin City Council, you will be required to supply proof of work rights, a Victorian Employee Working with Children Check and comply with Child Safety standards. All employees are required to undertake an Australian Criminal History Check and may be required to complete a Functional Health Assessment.
- Closing Date:
- 19 Sep 2021
- VIC - Preston
- Salary Circa $90k p.a. + Super
- Work Type:
- Full Time