Permanent or Senior Officer Contract up to 3 Years
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
This opportunity works within the Office of the Lord Mayor which provides high level strategic, policy and administrative support services to the Lord Mayor and Deputy Lord Mayor. Staff within the Lord Mayor’s office work closely with the offices of the Chief Executive Officer, Councillor Support, Directors and Managers to ensure an effective relationship exists to support the functionality of the Council. Although the positon reports to the Chief of Staff, the position also has a reporting line to City of Melbourne's Media Manager.
The Senior Media Adviser will develop media strategies and plans that support the objectives of the Lord Mayor’s Office and City of Melbourne as well as assumes responsibility for key projects and issues and works collaboratively with the Media team within the Corporate Affairs and Strategic Marketing branch to facilitate the implementation of integrated communication strategies.
The position will give the successful candidate the opportunity to work across a high volume and complex media portfolio providing high quality, strategic advice while ensuring productive relationships with key media contacts and stakeholders.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Relevant Tertiary Degree (Public Relations, Communications or Journalism) together with extensive media relations experience with sound understanding of organisation messaging and positioning.
- Demonstrated experience in providing authoritative and effective media advice and strategies to maximise reputation opportunities and minimise negative coverage.
- Proven experience in effectively managing complex issues within a highly political and complex environment.
- Proven experience in providing sophisticated, high level media advice at senior levels effectively managing internal and external stakeholders including compliance with applicable organisation and legislative requirements.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills with demonstrated experience in achieving effective business outcomes relating to media management.
- High level communication skills (verbal/communication) with the ability to use strong discretion and judgment in a complex business and political environment.
- High level analytical and lateral thinking skills with the ability to operate autonomously and take initiative.
- High level experience in developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders at all levels and a sound understanding of stakeholder needs.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable within a changing environment and delivering high volume outcomes.
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter, responding to the selection criteria (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Ben Hart, Acting Chief of Staff, Lord Mayor's Office
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.