Senior Officer Contract up to 3 years
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
The Manager Capital Works provides leadership and direction for the Capital Works team and manages the team to ensure the effective delivery of infrastructure projects through the Council’s Works Program.
Projects range across the breadth of Council’s public realm and building assets from minor upgrades of open space to major refurbishment works and construction of major new spaces and facilities.
These include projects designed within the City Design Studio as well as projects delivered on behalf of other groups within the organisation and vary in size, complexity and discipline.
All, however, require effective and professional management to ensure they are delivered to a high quality of design integrity and finish, within budget, on time and with minimal disruption to Council services.
The Capital Works team also manages project-specific stakeholder and community consultation processes for key projects, and provides an important interface with project partners as well as organisations and individuals affected by projects (including government and service authorities, community members, professional industry colleagues, and colleagues and clients within the City of Melbourne).
The position requires an exceptional leader, project and people manager, strategic thinker and effective communicator with proven complex project delivery experience, demonstrated leadership in and commitment to the delivery of high quality built environment design outcomes, demonstrating a fine sense of judgement and effectiveness working within a political business environment.
In collaboration with the Director City Design and Projects, the role requires:
- oversight of the project management and delivery of key strategic projects
- leadership and management of Council’s Annual, 4 year and 10 year Capital Works Program
- management of a dynamic team of project and construction managers
- oversight and responsibility for delivery of regular, rigorous, accurate and transparent project and program reporting and accounting practices
- Fulfilling the role of Superintendent in project related contracts delivered by the Capital Works Team, including reviewing and approving project briefs, tender and contract documentation, contracts, progress claims and variations, in a timely manner.
- mentoring and coaching to build team capability to effectively deliver high quality projects of all sizes and types
The incumbent will build and maintain strong and effective relationships borne of trust, integrity, credibility and professionalism to achieve position objectives.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Tertiary qualifications in a related discipline and extensive experience in the project management and delivery of major capital works and works programs.
- High level experience in developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders at all levels and a sound understanding of stakeholder needs.
- Demonstrated strong experience in leading a team to achieve high performance outcomes.
- Substantial experience and proven achievement in effective program management, project management, contract administration and/or contract management delivering high quality design outcomes.
- Strong influencing, communication, collaboration and negotiation skills with demonstrated experience in achieving effective business outcomes relating to project delivery.
- High level analytical and lateral thinking skills with the ability to operate autonomously and take initiative whilst driving and implementing change in a continuous improvement environment.
- The ability to manage highly confidential and sensitive matters with discretion, responsiveness and attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable within a changing environment and delivering high volume outcomes.
To view the physical requirements of this position and position description, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter, responding to the selection criteria (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Rob Adams, Director City Design and Projects
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.