From $89,674 + 9.5% Superannuation
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
As an Authorised Officer, you will bring your proven prosecutions experience and sound knowledge of the legal components associated with an enforcement function to the City Operations branch at City of Melbourne. In this role you will provide professional services in relation to the review and processing of matters from Fines Victoria and the prosecution of infringement offences in the Magistrates' Court on behalf of the City of Melbourne.
As a key member of the Prosecutions Team you will contribute to the delivery of an efficient and effective service by:
- Ensuring that the preparation of briefs of evidence are to acceptable standards for a court of law
- Representing Council at legal proceedings
- Undertaking the necessary preparatory work to successfully prosecute more complex matters including Local Law and Animal Management matters
- Maintaining oversight of the day to day Court operations of the Prosecutions Team
- Liaising with other Branches of Council (eg. Customer Relations and Legal Services) and other external stakeholders
- Working closely with Prosecutions Team members and others within the Branch on legislative issues that may impact upon our prosecution and enforcement services. This includes, but is not limited to acting as a reference point to our Infringement Review and On-street Compliance teams, as well as providing assistance to staff undertaking complex investigative work.
- Ideally, applicants who have previously demonstrated experience in court advocacy and legal qualifications will be highly regarded.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Proven prosecutions experience, consistently displaying and promoting the values of integrity, courage, respect for self and others and striving for excellence
- Supervisory experience in a regulatory organisation, with a sound knowledge of the legal components associated with an enforcement function
- Experience of working closely with others to successfully engage, motivate and support staff through change processes to deliver better prosecution outcomes
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including superior listening, rapport building, feedback and coaching attributes
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to prepare reports, policies, strategies and recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to interpret legislation administered by Local Government or similar authorities in order to provide direction and guidance to others
- Previous demonstrated experience with court advocacy and legal qualifications
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- respond to the following application questions (no more than 300 words per question):
- attach a separate cover letter, responding to the selection criteria (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
- Please provide an example of where you have played a significant role in a successful prosecution?
- From the example you have provided, what would you do differently with a similar case in the future?
Please address your covering letter to Gary Weston, Prosecutions Coordinator
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.