$106,988 + 9.5% Superannuation
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
Do you have a passion for Smart City technology and its role in preparing to meet future needs?
We have a rare opportunity for you to join the Smart City Office Research and Insights team enabling access to leading digital and data capabilities to support Melbourne as a bold, inspirational and sustainable city and playing a critical role acting as a centre of excellence in research, data collection, advanced analytics, data visualisation and reporting.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…The Urban Technologies Specialist will support the City of Melbourne’s commitment to ‘build on insights and data to know Melbourne better’ by providing specialised Smart City technologies expertise to support the Smart City approach.
Reporting directly to the City Research and Insights Team Leader, with a focus on the use of technology in the urban space, the role will see you steer the evolution of the use of IoT (Internet of Things), sensors and associated technology, developing data and insights, scoping and managing the delivery of a range of projects and manage the existing sensor program of work. Two exciting bodies of work the successful person will be managing immediately are the management of the City of Melbourne pedestrian sensor network, and associated insights, and a review of current technologies in place to inform decisions supporting the adoption of future Smart City technology.
You will work closely with teams across the organisation, build on existing partnerships and engage with key stakeholders to drive new collaborations for key projects and initiatives. This will require you to produce high quality communications including reports, presentations and data visualisation to support this activity.
This role requires you to be a good listener and able to grasp new concepts, manage consultants, synthesise data from various sources; analyse and develop responses to issues, situations and problems for multiple and wide ranging audiences.
To be successful in this role, you will bring an in depth knowledge of how technology informs a Smart City and its future success and expertise in analysis and data management. Proven experience with loT and innovation districts would be highly regarded.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Advanced data analysis and interpretation experience including experience with tooling and techniques used by the City R+I team (e.g. Power BI, Tableau, R, ESRI)
- Experience with different kinds of sensors (eg wind, pollution, pedestrian, noise, parking) and the capture, processing and publishing of data from sensors
- Understanding of the security considerations associated with sensors, IoT and connectivity types. Experience in managing contractors and consultants
- Have a deep knowledge and proven expertise in at least 2 of the following areas: urban technologies, IoT, hardware development, computer engineering, data science, engineering, planning, urban design
- Appropriate tertiary qualification and/or experience such as social science, economics, mathematics, statistics, technology
- Experience and understanding of a mix of connectivity types (eg 3G, LoRaWAN, Narrowband).
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter
- respond to the selection criteria, in a separate document (no more than three pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Andrea Hughes, City Research and Insights Team Leader.
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.