$77,352 + 9.5% Superannuation
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
As a key part of the Prosecutions team, you will be responsible for providing professional services in relation to the processing of matters from Fines Victoria and the prosecution of infringement offences in the Magistrates' Court on behalf of the City of Melbourne.
In this great opportunity you will work within a team of Prosecutors who's primary function is the delivery of a quality customer focused service via:
- Representing Council at legal proceedings including Contest hearings
- Conducting reviews of infringements in relation to Court Elections, matters referred to court by Council and matters received from Fines Victoria
- Compiling concise and accurate briefs of evidence
- Responding to telephone enquiries relating to prosecution and court related matters
- Accurate and efficient handling of information
- Liaising with customers and external service providers
- Attending Court for up to 3 days per week
- Using and maintaining an up-to-date knowledge in legislation pertaining to court process, Local Government, enforcement of relevant laws, applicable case law and business rules in all decision making.
Led by a knowledgeable and supportive manager, you will be working in a team of five within a positive culture.
The successful incumbent will have a strong commitment to customer service, the ability to perform competing priorities, fluid communication skills and demonstrated experience working in a collaborative team environment to achieve set goals.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Experience in managing prosecution matters including Contested hearings
- Understanding and familiarity with the Magistrates’ Court and Fines Victoria processes, procedures and legislative requirements
- Demonstrated ability in the application of legislation administered by Local Government or similar authorities
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and proven written and oral communication skills including experience in drafting correspondence
- Demonstrated ability to conduct investigations, undertake research and prepare quality written reports and submissions.
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter
- respond to the selection criteria, in a separate document of no more than two pages, as listed above under ‘You will have…’
Please address your covering letter to Gary Weston, Prosecutions Coordinator.
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.