Calling all Senior Governance Practitioners! Join City of Melbourne in this career defining role and make a real difference to our amazing capital city
Salary commencing from $141,366 Total Employment Package
Permanent or Senior Officer Contract up until 20 March 2026
We are the City of Melbourne, a place to be bold and inspirational.
We are rapidly transforming to meet the evolving challenges faced by a global city. With a vision of being a leading organisation for a leading capital city, our mission is to create positive impact for our community. Each day, we work with passion and purpose so that together we achieve incredible things.
Together we Make the Difference
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
City of Melbourne are currently seeking a dynamic Senior Governance Practitioner to define the role of Coordinator Council Business. Acting as the principle governance advisor to the organisation, our Executive Leaders and Councillors, you will ensure that City of Melbourne continues to function as an effective and efficient government. This is a truly exciting opportunity to expand on your existing strengths and take the next step in your career to make a real difference to our amazing capital city.
Through creating a constructive culture, you will provide strategic direction and day to day guidance and support to a team of four direct reports, and occasional specialist contractors. You will set them up for success by ensuring that they are well equipped to effectively deliver key statutory obligations, policy, development and projects, all whilst ensuring that staff understand and meet the expectations of their role within the team.
As a team, you will have an incredibly broad range of responsibilities including; ensuring that both the Council and Future Melbourne Committee function according to the requirements of the Council’s Governance Rules and the Local Government Act, processing delegations and authorisations and Freedom of Information requests, providing advice on information privacy matters and maintaining various statutory and non-statutory registers and processes.
Critical to your success will be your meticulous eye for detail combined with your strategic ‘big picture’ thinking, and strong understanding of the key role governance plays in an organisation. You will have sound judgement and the ability to provide high level strategic advice in a complex environment that has significant potential to impact the reputation of City of Melbourne.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence.
- Relevant tertiary qualification and/or extensive experience in a governance-related position within a complex, political environment.
- Demonstrated ability and extensive knowledge to maintain organisation-wide (statutory) registers and other procedural requirements to ensure compliance of: Freedom of Information, Information Privacy, Council meetings, Council election procedures and processes, and other governance-related policies.
- Experience in project management and managing project teams, including the ability to coordinate complex processes with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (using MS office suite) with attention to detail, including the ability to: provide advice on a range of complex issues, review and prepare written guidelines, policies, procedures, reports, briefs and business letters.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills and the ability to work with changing priorities in a high pressure/high volume area in support of statutory requirements and appropriate corporate and branch initiatives.
- Ability to manage staff and workloads of the Governance Branch in the absence of the Director Governance.
By joining us, you will become part of a remarkable team who work in a constructive and inclusive culture to shape the future of this city. Together, we champion difference, celebrate achievement and recognise positive impact.
To view the position description and physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
Please apply for the position via the City of Melbourne Careers Page, link below.
City of Melbourne - Mercury eRecruit
Please address your covering letter to Michael Tonta, Director Governance.
Applications will be accepted up until 11:45pm Thursday 11 February 2021.
For those interested in working with us, the City of Melbourne offers a great range of benefits.
City of Melbourne is proud to be a workplace that champions diversity. Our commitment is for our people to be safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from people regardless of their gender identity and expression, ethnicity, cultural background, sexual orientation, disability and age. We look for the right values, skills and knowledge to build our capabilities so that we can best deliver for our community.