Chief Executive Officer - [Archived Advertisement]
Torres Strait Island Regional Council (View other jobs from this organisation)
About Torres Strait Island Regional Council
The Torres Strait Island Regional Council is Australia’s most northerly local government, representing 15 unique island communities, spread across 42,000km2 of sea, and an international border with Papua New Guinea. Council services fifteen separate communities each with its own unique characteristics and service requirement. Council’s total population is approximately 5,000 people who span across Council’s fifteen island communities.
Council’s Vision is for our communities and Council to be autonomous, prosperous and sustainable. Council’s values are representative of the five-pointed star in Council’s flag and logo which signifies our five island clusters, and also recognises the sea-fearing navigation common to the local government area.
The CEO is the primary link between Councillors and the organisation and is responsible for providing leadership in developing and implementing Council strategies, policies and decisions, managing the various functions and activities of Council and overseeing finances, assets, human resources, communications and major projects. The CEO not only provides leadership to staff to achieve Council directives but supports the Mayor and Councillors in providing leadership to the community to achieve its goals and objectives.
The position will be located on Thursday Island or in the Torres Strait Island community.
- Demonstrated experience working with and understanding of Torres Strait Island people and their culture and the current issues affecting Torres Strait Island communities.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills commensurate with the stature of the position, with particular emphasis in the areas of consultation, advocacy, negotiation, influencing, conflict resolution and assertiveness.
- High level corporate planning and management skills with the ability to oversee the management and coordination of complex and multi-disciplinary policies, programs, projects and resources.
- Well developed interpersonal skills in leading and facilitating cultural, operational and organisational change in order to create a high performance team.
- High level strategic thinking and planning skills with the ability to translate strategic direction into operational realities and drive the organisation to achieve continuous business and service improvement objectives.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of relevant Local Government Legislation, policies, systems and practices.
- Demonstrated experience working at a senior/executive level in the social, political and legal framework of Local Government or related environment.
- Demonstrated experience leading large and multi-disciplinary organisations, providing services to the community, including expert knowledge of financial, staff management, customer service, continuous improvement and governance disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience building and managing trusted relationships with diverse stakeholder grounds, all levels of Government and private sector.
Applications for this position close Friday, 16 July 2021.
To receive an information pack for the role, including key selection criteria and details on how to apply, please email Danielle Turner, Preston HR, email@example.com .
- QLD - Thursday Island
- Work Type:
- Executive Management