Independent Member to the Audit and Risk Committee - [Archived Advertisement]
Moreland City Council (View other jobs from this organisation)
Independent Member to the Audit and Risk Committee
Moreland is a progressive council with 180,000 residents: one community, proudly diverse. Our city is vibrant and energetic, known for its active community, array of fabulous festivals, cool pools, eclectic shops and our community of artists and creative industries. As a Council, we’ve been supporting our community through difficult times, and our long term vision has ambitious goals for environmental sustainability, community wellbeing, and creating great places.
Moreland Council strives to be a contemporary, innovative and collaborative organisation with a deep commitment to engagement with, the Moreland community. With the Civic Centre located in Coburg, 8 kilometres north of Melbourne’s CBD, there are excellent public transport options and great food and cafés right at the doorstep. Moreland City Council is a great place to live, work and play.
About the role
Moreland City Council is seeking expressions of interest for the appointment of an Independent Member to the Audit and Risk Committee. The Audit and Risk Committee is an advisory committee to Council that provides Council with independent assurance and assistance in the areas of financial reporting, audit, internal control effectiveness, risk management, regulatory compliance and performance reporting
- Intending applicants should have senior business or financial management/reporting knowledge and experience, be tertiary qualified in Business, Commerce, Accounting or other related disciplines from either the private or public sectors
- Candidates should be knowledgeable about the duties and responsibilities of the position as outlined in the Charter; especially in relation to Government operations, financial reporting and auditing requirements, risk management, and corporate governance in addition aware of the complexity of Council service delivery and infrastructure challenges would be desirable
- Candidates should also have the requisite industry, business, financial and leadership skills, possess strong interpersonal skills and well-developed communication skills
Key requirements of this role:
The Local Government Act 2020 requires the Committee to have collective expertise in financial management and risk; and experience in public sector management.
The independent members of the Committee are drawn from Council and industry professionals with expertise aligned to the Local Government Act 2020 requirements and Committee accountabilities. The suite of skills and experience sought for each Independent Member position are different and intended to ensure a balance in the collective expertise of the Committee. The Position Description Audit and Risk Committee Independent members outlines the specific skills required for the role.
The Local Government Act 2020, states that an Audit and Risk Committee not include any person who is a member of Council staff of the Council.
Furthermore, Good Governance requires that non-Councillor Audit and Risk Committee members are independent and are seen to be independent. Therefore, any person that has in the past three years had a relationship with the Moreland City Council in any of the following situations, is ineligible to apply:
- Employed in an Executive capacity by Council;
- Retained by Council as an Advisor or Consultant;
- Employed in an Executive capacity by an organisation or business that has been retained by Council as a preferred Tenderer or appointed to a panel as a preferred supplier for the provision of goods or services to Council.
Term of Appointment
The Audit and Risk Committee meets four times per year with potential for special meetings to be called.
Remuneration for independent members is $1275 per meeting (excluding GST)
For further information please contact Yvonne Callanan via email YCallanan@moreland.vic.gov.au
Applications close: 11.30pm, Friday 28 May 2021
For a copy of the Committee Charter, please refer to our website https://www.moreland.vic.gov.au/
Before submitting an application please view the Position Description.
Moreland City Council is proudly diverse and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, people with disability, and people from every culture, gender and sexuality identity, age and ethnic background. Moreland City Council is committed to being a Child Safe organisation and has zero tolerance for child abuse.
- Closing Date:
- 28 May 2021
- VIC - Coburg
- Remuneration for independent members is $1275 per meeting (excluding GST)
- Work Type: