Principal Lawyer - [Archived Advertisement]
City of Sydney (View other jobs from this organisation)
Division: LEGAL & GOVERNANCE
Unit: LEGAL SERVICES
Section: LEGAL SERVICES
Salary: AUD 188,868 per annum plus Superannuation
Employment status: Permanent
Employment arrangement: Full Time
Location: Sydney CBD
Option to work under a 19 day month arrangement
At the City of Sydney our people are our most important asset and central to achieving our exciting and ambitious Sustainable Sydney 2030 - developing a green, global and connected city.
The City of Sydney is looking for a Principal Lawyer with extensive commercial and property experience to lead a legal team providing crucial support across this diverse and innovative organisation. The Principal Lawyer manages the team and has day to day supervision of all matters, including various property transactions, construction disputes and a broad range of commercial and contractual negotiations.
The successful candidate will also be exposed to a variety of legal advice work from all areas of the City's operations including planning, construction and development projects, local government administration and access to information. This role provides the opportunity to join a high performing team offering strategic and practical legal services to support the City's delivery of the innovative and diverse Sustainable Sydney 2030 strategy.
The successful candidate will have:
- demonstrated experience leading teams of lawyers and developing and maintaining team spirit and direction in order to maximise team effectiveness
- highly developed and effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and an ability to develop strong relationships with a variety of clients
- demonstrated ability to provide authoritative, expert and strategic legal and policy advice on a range of complex and sensitive matters and conduct litigation
- demonstrated ability to reason conceptually, negotiate effectively and to solve complex problems with innovative and practical solutions and resolve high priority issues
- demonstrated understanding of the legislative, operational and political structure within which local councils function and an enthusiasm for and interest in local government matters and the City of Sydney
- at least 8 years post-qualification experience in the provision of legal services in the areas of commercial and/or property law.
The City of Sydney offers employees unparalleled employment benefits including accelerated long-service leave, flexible working arrangements and attractive maternity and paternity entitlements.
At the City of Sydney you will join a dedicated team where individual effort is part of something much bigger - delivering great things for our city's dynamic future.
To apply: Click on the 'Apply' button below to complete your online application. Please upload your current resume and address the essential criteria (selection criteria) as stated within the position description that demonstrates how you meet the requirements of this role.
Please note: This role will require a national criminal record background check and a Pre-Employment Health Declaration.
Position description: CLICK HERE to view or download the position description.
Applications must be made online via the City's website by 11.59pm on Sunday, 2 February 2020.
For further information contact: Kirsten Morrin, Director Legal & Governance on 02 9265 9361.
Employee Benefits: CLICK HERE for more information on the benefits of working in Council.
At the City we provide equal employment opportunity. We are committed to ensuring an accessible and inclusive work environment and encourage applications from people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Closing Date:
- 02 Feb 2020
- NSW - Sydney
- AUD 188,868 per annum plus Superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time