Adelaide City Council releases 2011-12 budget
The Adelaide City Council has published its 2011-12 Business Plan and Budget for the coming financial year, including an announcement of ‘very significant’ infrastructure expenditure.
The 2011-12 Business Plan and Budget was endorsed by the Adelaide City Council, describing the plan as a ‘serious commitment to redevelop Adelaide as a world-class livable city’.
“In total, we have allocated over $100 million for capital works. This is a substantial amount that will allow for projects to get off the ground,” Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood said.
“Council is moving with the times with an ambitious push to deliver tangible benefits for city users.”
Key features include:
- Starting major projects such as Victoria Square and Rundle Mall Master Plan
- Bringing empty laneways and public spaces to life and reviewing outdoor dining policies
- Continuation of Victoria Park upgrade, including restoration of the Heritage Grandstand and development of nine new sporting fields
- Commencing Bonython Park Activity Hub including new Playspace and Learn to Ride track and completion of Park Lands Trail Stage 6
- Expanding the free city LAN WiFi service to be the world’s biggest
- Rethinking transport, including public transport, cars, pedestrian and cycling and the expansion of the free City Bike Scheme
- Provision of new managed taxi ranks in the city entertainment precincts
- Delivery of Council’s first dog park
- Funding for public art including ‘Connecting with Light’ installation in Rundle Mall
- Continuing drive to increase residential population including commencement of Sturt Street Affordable Housing Project
- Upgrade of Adelaide Central Market facilities and user areas
- Completion of the Adelaide Aquatic Centre roof upgrade and general upgrades of user areas
- Seed funding for new Street Markets
- Detailed design and feasibility for a purpose built event space in Park 24
- Creation of Horticulture Hub in Park 17 and Park 14
“We have allocated over $3.5 million for Rundle Mall, allowing for the implementation and Stage 1 of the Rundle Mall Master Plan, the Rundle Mall Governance Project and support for the Rundle Mall Management Authority,” Mr Yarwood said.
More information can be found here