Coastal infrastructure gets $4.5 million to offset climate change risk
The Federal Minister for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, Greg Combet, has announced a funding injection of $4.5 million to ‘support practical approaches’ in managing climate change impacts on crucial coastal infrastructure and critical assets.
The funding will support 13 projects in which the Federal Government will work with utilities, industry and professional organisations on key decision-making in coastal communities for adapting to climate change.
Mr Combet announced the successful Coastal Adaptation Decisions Pathways projects, most of which have at least dollar for dollar co-investment from project proponents, during his address to the Australian Local Government Association’s 2011 National General Assembly in Canberra this morning.
The funding will support local decision-makers to move beyond initial climate change risk assessments to identifying what is required in practical terms to protect a community and assets from climate change risks over time.
The full list of initiatives is as follows
Coastal Adaptation Decision Pathways Projects – Grant approvals
- Rising to the challenge – developing flexible coastal adaptation pathways for local communities (TAS): Local Government Association of Tasmania
- Choosing a preferred pathway for Port Phillip Bay (VIC): Municipal Association of Victoria
- A Value and Equity Framework for climate adaptation – Caravan and Camping Parks case study (VIC): Western Coastal Board
- Climate Change Adaptation Tool for the Water Industry (NSW/National): Water Services Association of Australia
- Pilot Council and Insurance Partnership on Climate Adaptation Methods (QLD): Sunshine Coast Council
- Assessment and Decision Frameworks for Existing Seawalls (NSW/QLD): Sydney Coastal Councils Group
- Queensland Coastal Hazard Adaptation Strategy pilot study – Townsville (QLD): Local Government Association of Queensland; Townsville City Council and Queensland Department of Environment and Resource Management
- Demonstrating Climate Change Adaptation of Interconnected Water Infrastructure Project (NSW): Sydney Water
- Multi-Criteria Approaches to Adaptive Coastal Development (prioritising coastal adaptation options) (NSW): Sydney Coastal Councils Group and Local Government and Shires Associations of New South Wales
- Decision Support for Adaptation Action (NSW): Hunter Councils / Hunter and Central Coast Regional Environmental Management Strategy
- Climate change decision support framework and software for coastal Councils (SA): Local Government Association of South Australia
- Developing Flexible Adaptation Pathways for the Peron Naturaliste Coastal Region of Western Australia (WA): Peron Naturaliste Partnership
- Deciding for the coast – implementing effective adaptation actions (VIC): South East Councils Climate Change Alliance
More information on the Coastal Adaptation Decision Pathways projects can be found here