Established in 1960, the Australian Road Research Board (ARRB) is a national interest, applied research organisation. We are developing next-generation transportation across Australia. We work with clients to deliver solutions that shape transport and society.
We seek to attract world-class experts to add to our existing pool of intellectual excellence. We want the best of the best to join us in our vision; to drive innovation to deliver an adaptable connected future for all Australians. We are growing our intellectual base by building capacity in fields of critical importance to the road and transport industry, recognising that there are some significant emerging challenges, that require deep thinkers who can provide solutions to complex problems.
As one of our team, you will work alongside internationally recognised experts, and assist in the discovery of new knowledge.
ARRB is a dynamic and vibrant organisation providing exciting opportunities for people to do great things, to tackle the big research questions, and to see the fruits of that research being practically applied.
In May 2018 ARRB will be relocating to 80a Turner Street Port Melbourne where we will operate within a modern ‘Google-like’ brand new work campus. Our premises will be state-of-the-art, with basketball hoop, ping pong tables, bicycle facilities, café, flexible working times, and with activity based working arrangements.
About the role and you:
This position will focus on road condition data collection and road asset management bids and tenders for the Victorian and Tasmanian regions. At times the role will require engagement with other ARRB work areas (Safe Smart Roads and Infrastructure, Next Generation Asset Management, Human Technology Interface and People, Movement, Place) and where appropriate, the role will require project management support as agreed with the State Technical Leader.
This role would particularly suit someone with practical experience or knowledge in road data collection, road construction, pavements or with road asset management understanding. Excellent communication and writing skills will be essential to actively work with others in the team.
In this position you will:
• Coordinate and submit bids and tenders, working closely with others in the team, while achieving sales, margins and agreed targets
• Work in the ARRB team who collects road-condition data using sophisticated (world class) in-vehicle equipment
• Develop and maintain successful relationships with existing and new clients
• Develop and review project bids/tenders/proposals and identify new business areas
• Provide input to costings and price strategies based on inputs such as client scope, risks to ARRB and demand on data collection vehicles
• Have technical knowledge and expertise within at least one of ARRB’s core areas with a knowledge of other core pillars so that you can confidently engage with clients, understand their needs and translate those needs to service provision
• Collect marketing and service information – internal and external - for use in marketing and sales activities (to develop business)
• Have an open mind and be willing to learn.
We seek an individual who has:
• Significant (> 5 years) experience, preferably in a similar role
• Engineering degree or engineering related experience, or equivalent experience
• An understanding of road asset management and/or pavements
• Project management skills appropriate for consulting and service-based projects
• Experience or real understanding of projects and programs for government and private sector
• A ‘can do’ attitude, flexible and organised work ethic
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills such that effective relationships can be built with clients, stakeholders and internal staff
• The ability to quickly learn new concepts and ways of working
• Outstanding team work skills and is responsible and accountable.
What we offer:
An exciting, dynamic and collaborative workplace, where your skills, knowledge and experience will be recognised and respected, including:
• Opportunities to contribute to high-profile and interesting projects
• A healthy work-life balance, with flexible arrangements for accruing time off
• Strong support for career development and further study
• A competitive salary
• A state-of-the-art work campus, with basketball courts, ping pong tables, bicycle facilities, café, flexible working times, and with Activity based working arrangements.
• Access to paid parental leave
• Potential salary packaging benefits available
• Additional leave days over end-of-year holiday period
• Free parking on site!
To be considered:
Please press the "APPLY" button in this job advertisement. Alternatively, for a confidential conversation, please contact Human Resources in Melbourne.
Please click the 'Apply Now' button below.