Seeking an experienced service designer to lead multi-disciplinary project teams to transform city services!
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
CityLab is a space to prototype and test new ideas and city services with the community comprising a team, way of working, physical space and digital presence. CityLab is seen as a role model for visionary thinking, collaboration and experimentation for the Smart City Office, City of Melbourne and our external partners.
CityLab team members are looked to as intrapreneurs within the City of Melbourne who challenge our current ways of working; help envisage new possible futures; prototype and experiment with new ideas; and coach and up-skill their colleagues along the way. The team and its partners’ capabilities comprise a combination of human-centred design, agile, open innovation and digital skills.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
An opportunity has arisen with the CityLab team, within our Smart City Office, for a Senior Service Designer to join a team of four to lead key innovation and change projects.
A key aspect of the role will be to lead in the planning, delivery and implementation of all phases of human-centred design / service design projects. This includes, but is not limited to, the ability to be hands on in the planning and delivery of design research, facilitation, insight synthesis, ideation, concept prototyping, service blueprinting and final output production.
A fundamental project you will lead will be our service transformation program to service the future needs of our customers and define the organisation’s unique value proposition.
Working collaboratively with a range of teams across City of Melbourne, you will take a “knowledge transfer” approach to help accelerate and embed new ways of working across the organisation. Design leadership, project management and relationship and stakeholder management are core capabilities of this role.
A proven leader of projects and teams with a record of empowering, developing and motivating staff, the successful candidate will also be an excellent communicator to achieve success within a project team with diverse skillsets.
If this sounds like the prefect role for you, don’t miss this opportunity to be a leading member of this innovative team, take full ownership and have strong input into its direction!
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Relevant Tertiary Degree – or equivalent experience – in a design discipline
- Your demonstrated experience in leading, developing and delivering human-centred design / service design projects for large organisations. This includes extensive experience leading the planning, delivery and implementation of design research, facilitation, insight synthesis, ideation, concept prototyping, service blueprinting and final output production
- Demonstrated experience forming and leading high-performing multidisciplinary diverse project teams and utilising agile delivery methods in your project delivery approach
- Your ability to create a safe space to explore new ideas that respects diverse perspectives, engenders positivity, instils creative confidence in others and favours action-bias
- Strong oral communication and high-level written skills (including report writing, presentation, and negotiation skills) and the ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of stakeholders.
To view the position description and physical requirements of this position, please visit www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- respond to the selection criteria, in a separate document (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Rebecca Marson, (Acting) CityLab Lead.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.